Improving Your Fuel Consumption
Making Every Drop Count!
There are plenty of ways to help save gas and the environment: carpooling, public transit, biking to your destination, or even shopping online. But when you need to be behind the wheel, keep these suggestions in mind!
- When fueling up, get it right! Be sure to use the right grade of gasoline. Check your owner’s manual and if you don’t need premium – don’t buy it! Most cars run just fine on regular.
- Maintenance is a must! Well maintained vehicles achieve the best fuel economy. Routine maintenance like cleaning your air filters and keeping tires properly inflated can improve fuel costs by up to 13%. See Vehicle Maintenance Matters for more information.
- Load your junk in the trunk! Put your belongings inside your vehicle instead of loading up the roof rack. This eliminates wind resistance and weight which improves fuel efficiency.
- Tiny tips for at the pump! Make sure your fuel cap is on tight to avoid leakage and don’t “top off” at the pump.
- Don’t change – replace! Don’t change tires out for a different make and model. Instead, replace with the same type of tire that was on your vehicle when new.
- Don’t be fooled! Beware of companies that offer mileage improving devices. According to the EPA and Federal Trade Commission, no device will boost your mileage by any appreciable amount.